This video will introduce you to the The NYC Compost Project Master Composter Certificate Program which is an advanced composting course that trains a select group of New Yorkers every year to support, develop, and maintain community-based composting projects across all five boroughs. The course requires 24 hours of classroom instruction, two field trips, 30 hours of compost-related fieldwork, and a final project. The video highlights some of the projects Master Composters from Staten Island have completed with a quick view of some of the topics covered in the course.
The list of topics covered in the class includes:
- Soil, decomposition, and compost science
- How to design and build a variety of compost systems suitable for urban areas
- How to start and manage a composting project in your community
- How to use finished compost
- Techniques for teaching others about composting
For more information